Here at Simple Energy any “green” themed holiday is another way to celebrate energy efficiency. Grab your favorite locally brewed green beer this St. Patrick’s Day, and let’s party!
- Planting a new tree or two not only helps combat climate change, but also cleans the air. A well-planned landscape can reduce an unshaded home’s summer A/C costs by 15 to 50 percent. Rule of green thumb: deciduous trees on the east and west (they also are great shade makers); evergreens on the north and northwest to bring in some warmth in the cooler months.
- Recycling never gets old, and we don’t just mean separating out those beer bottles and cans. Use this holiday to set up a recycling program in the office; organize a swap for gently used clothing or outdoor gear; or avoid printing documents that you can easily read on your computer.
- Office party planned? Instead of baking treats, try bringing in some fresh fruit and veggies, and other energy-free snacks.
- Put yourself to a challenge and don’t use any energy! Use candles for lights and open up your shades for some natural light. If it’s warm outside, open the windows versus using the A/C. If it’s cooler outside, add a trendy layer to your outfit or throw on a scarf to avoid turning up the heat.
- Tread lightly — try taking public transportation around town or ride a bike, run or walk to your party destination. Less carbon emissions, and you burn some calories equal a win-win.
No matter what way you choose to celebrate this year, remember that when it comes to energy, you make your own luck. Your pot o’ gold awaits!